The following is an evaluation of the films that I saw at the festival. I will be rating them on a scale of 1 to 4, where 1 is horrible, 2 is average, 3 is very good and 4 is the very best.
A Star is Born--****--beautiful photography and a very powerful storyline. I really got to know and like the characters. The only problem is that it was very long and had several instances where I thought it had to end here and kept going. But the good thing about this is that every scene had something legitimate to say. Definite thumbs up!
Casablanca--****--always one of my favorites. Seeing it on the big screen only increased my love of it.
2001: A Space Odyssey--***1/2--very beautiful photography and striking moments, but I didn't really understand the plot. Once I understand the plot, I will officially give it four stars.
Sweet Smell of Success--****--dark, brooding story enacted by crooked and corrupt characters combined with beautiful Film-Noir photography. Two thumbs way up!
The Producers--***--oh my goodness this movie was HILARIOUS! I was still laughing and singing as we left the theater, (much to my mom's annoyance/amusement). Two thumbs way way up!
Top Hat--****--The best way to see a movie for the first time is one the big screen. Dancing cheek to cheek with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers on the big screen at Mann's Chinese Theater was the best way to see Top Hat for the first time.
Treasure of the Sierra Madre--****--spectacular performance given by Walter Huston as the old prospector and that very effective ironic laughter he always gave in the face of disaster. Even though the film was photographed in black and white, I could feel the colors of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range.
North By Northwest--****--what a film to see on the big screen! That climbing down Mt. Rushmore scene reminded me of seeing the stairs of Cirith Ungol from "The Return of the King" on the big screen when I was 9. Perfect, big screen worthy picture, definitely worthy of your time!
Singin' in the Rain--****--of course, one of my all-time favorites! It was "makin' me laugh" as well everyone else in the theater throughout the whole picture!
The Adventures of Robin Hood--****--my favorite Errol Flynn role. The swashbuckling adventure accompanied with a large blue raspberry slush was a very memorable experience!
The Bride of Frankenstein--***--campy, Universal horror, macabre fun at midnight when everyone in the theater was falling asleep. Though some parts had the whole room in stitches.
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly--****--one of the finest westerns I've ever seen! The beauty of the scenery, the treachery of the characters and iconic film score all on the big screen. My favorite line was, "If you're gonna shoot someone, just shoot 'em and don't talk about it."
The King of Comedy--**--the only film at the festival that I did not like. I thought that it was a very mean spirited movie and the fact that the "king of comedy" carried on the way he did, taking advantage of people for his own goals and still became a celebrity in the end, drove me crazy.
Metropolis--****--my first silent film and maybe my favorite film at the festival. There was even an orchestra, and a very fine one at that. Absolutely beautiful film and a great way to end a classic movie festival.
And that's all folks!
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for reminding me of how wonderful this was. It was magic.
ReplyDeletenice work, kiddo, a joy to read about :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys! It was great to write about because I could relive it all. It was magic
ReplyDelete